Thursday, January 13, 2011

Spring cleaning

I'm getting a head start on my "Spring cleaning" Maybe because I'm stuck in the house due to the cold weather, maybe I'm "nesting" a bit, and maybe it's really just finalizing all the unpacking from moving in. It feels good to get more organized and to de-junk a bit. A house of order is a house of peace. Which is true, because a cluttered messy house makes me a bit cranky, and not being able to find things makes my husband a bit cranky too.

We also made new "Chore" charts for the kids and got them motivated to do more around the house too. With a new one on it's way, I'm going to need them to help me and help themselves more. The girls make their bed, get dressed, put laundry in the hamper, takes their plate to the sink (or trash) after meals, take turns putting the silverware away, and help tidy up at the end of the day. And Ryan makes his bed (sometimes), clears his plate, puts laundry away in the hamper, helps take out trash, and helps tidy up at the end of the day. If they do those things then they get a sticker on their chart next to each one and by doing chores they feel good by helping the family. A friend told me that she taught her kids that they need to help out just because they are part of a family, and not because they are getting money from it. Which I thought was a good philosophy and so far it's working. We will see when they are teenagers! haha

2 comments:

Kendra said...

Loving the chore charts. Your kids are great helpers, they will be great when the new baby comes!!!

Megan said...

I think having them help is a great idea. I always see that Angie has so much energy so why not have her pick up whatever is on the floor...