Thursday, January 27, 2011

Red Light, Green light

It's a fun game, but that's not what I'm talking about this time.
The kids school has a behavior chart that goes from green to yellow to red. Kind of like a stop light. As long as you behave you stay on green and get a sticker at the end of the day, stay on green all week and you get to go to the treasure box. If you make a bad choice or need to be reminded to much about a behavior then you move to yellow, and for "Time out" behavior that puts you on Red.
Well we have copied the same idea to use in our home. We have been struggling to stay on Green lately. Well the girls have, Ryan has been managing to stay on green. Mostly the girls end up hitting each other or whining too much that puts them on yellow, but today Renee hit or scratched Kaylee on too many times and landed herself of Red. So she did not get any snack/dessert that night or stickers on her chart. Not having ice cream when the others got to really made her upset, so I'm hoping that it sunk in and got the point across about how she needs to behave and that there are consequences to your actions.
Fingers crossed, we will see, and can only hope!

2 comments:

Megan said...

Now I am curious how the next day went...

Sunni said...

I love the ideas. It seems like as a mom you are always coming up with ways to motivate/bribe/encourage your childrens' good behavior. Tell Andy that the snow is great fun and he is the one missing out (granted, when it snows in June I will be cursing the winter wonderland that I live in...hopefully you guys won't have to deal with that)