Today was Martin Luther King Jr holiday, so no school...AGAIN! But it wasn't all that bad. We are either getting used to not having school, or it's still such a new concept that it gives us a fun energy to have throughout the day. The kids let me sleep in, which is rare, normally the girls especially will come in to let me know that they are awake, and so should I be now. But with Ryan already up and watching morning cartoons (pink panther is their new favorite) they were content to hang out with him.
So when I finally woke up, I got them breakfast and we started our day. Ryan asked me if he could have wrapping paper so he could wrap his gift for baby sisters that he didn't give to them at their birthday. So I found a gift bag and some tissue paper and he put some of his "big lego's" in it and gave them a belated birthday present. He said he had enough to share and wanted them to have some. So sweet!
They played nicely together all morning, we played some games together too. Then I had some young women over for lunch to get to know them better. The kids started to fall apart then. At lunch Kaylee kept pushing Renee off of her chair, so in time out she went. But after that they again returned to playing nicely. They wanted to take a bubble bath at 3pm so why not, I let them and they played in there for a good 20-25 minutes, until Kaylee lets out a screech and starts screaming and comes walking out with a face full of blood! Our kids got daddy's nose, and will get bloody noses at the drop of a hat! This was the worst I had seen yet, the blood was pouring out both nostrils and coming out her mouth. I was worried she may of bit her tongue like Ryan did when he was a baby there was that much blood. But thank goodness it was just the nose and stopped shortly thereafter.
So bath time was cut off and everyone decided to get into their pajama's. (I was tempted to say it was now bedtime! ;-) And we went downstairs to play and watch a movie and snuggle. I read my scrpitures preparing our family home evening lesson, on Alma Chapter 5. It's our Stake theme/goal this year, so I thought we would talk about it. Helping us bring in a new year, being better indivdually and therefore also better and stronger as a family. The discussion went well, and we all decided that we would speak kinder in our home and mommy and daddy would work on not losing their tempers and having more fun. Everyone agreed those were great ideas!!
I was able to make a yummy dinner, it always makes me happy to be able to cook a GOOD meal with lots of fresh fruits and veggies. I finally am making some recipes from the "Sneaky Chef" resipe book, that helps you sneak veggies into meals that kids love and WILL eat. I made chicken tenders (with sweet potato and carrots snuck in) and Mash potatoes (with cauliflower and zucchini snuck in) and everyone ate it and LOVED it, even Joe! haha I didn't tell him til after as well! haha
It was an over all good day, although I struggled with the girls behavior. We have a green, yellow and red chart for behavior, and Ryan was the only one who stayed on green. Kaylee went to yellow for ripping Ryan's paper and pushing Renee, and Renee ended up on Red, for hitting Kaylee on the head with a telephone, pushing Ryan not listening to mommy and whinning.
We made Rice Kripsy treats for our Family Home Evening treat and the girls couldn't sit still and listen and obey during (our 5 minute) family home evening so no treats for them.
Hopefully their behavior will improve sooner than later, I had thought and hoped we were turning a corner with them, things have improved but we are still a lap away I guess.
Thankful that Joe was home to help me put them to bed, because I was exhausted and at my whits end with them not listening. Daddy's presence was greatly appreciated by all!
3 months ago
3 comments:
Sounds like a fun and exhausting day. I agree that it can be exhausting when the kids don't listen. We are working on that in our home as well. May there be improvement all around.
Those girls, they are a handful aren't they? :) Someday, though, you will look back and say, "Wow, that wasn't so bad". It does get better. I really miss you when you have entries in your blog like this one. Take care and love you all.
Grandma S.
P.S. Karen- Do you remember after you started dating Joe, you asked us if Martin Luther King, Jr. was the one that started our Lutheran Church. I just happened to think of that, when I read your blog. So, so funny!
Grandma S.
Post a Comment