Sunday, August 30, 2009

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

There is a cute and quite catchy song on the movie Curious George by jack Johnson that is called Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. This was my motivation for this blog entry

I totally get the philosophy and it's a great idea. Somethings I feel like we are pretty good and there are some things that we are totally not!

The things were are good at are:
Recycling our paper, plastic, soda cans and glass products. I even rinse my stuff out (most of the time)

using energy saving light bulbs and not using lights during the day, even Ryan will tell his friends or cousins that we can't turn on the lights because it wastes power (and gives mommy a headache...really!)

I am a huge garage sale goer. Most of the toys and kid things we own I have gotten as gifts or purchased at a local garage sale or at the Mother's of Multiples club I belong too, where I buy and sell at that sale also!

We are not to proud for hand me downs, we love them! It saves us soo much and we are so grateful, especially now while we are still "starving students" so to speak.

We love giving hand me downs to others, to our sister in laws Beth, Kendra, and Megan, and friends too.


Things we are NOT so good at:
We are huge paper plate users! We waste so much but it saves us in the dishes department! :)

We also love to use the Kirkland Lysol Wipes to clean up the frequent messes that come about on a daily basis. Baby wipes and paper towels too are my friend too!


And we have been encouraged to use reusable containers when sending Ryan's lunch. So I tried doing that a few times but this concept is hard for a 4 1/2 yr old to grasp. I have told him that he needs to bring his lunch containers home and anything he doesn't eat as well. (so I can see what he is actually eating)

Well, I've gotten these 2 different responses.... either his lunch box is completely empty having thrown away the Tupperware and spoon to eat his yogurt, or I have opened his lunch box only to put my hand into a yogurty gooey mess. I guess he didn't finish his yogurt and mommy told him to bring anything he didn't eat home right! RRRRRRight, not really son!

So as I motioned before, great philosophy, catchy song,
but easier said than done kind of concept!

I'd love to know any tips you guys have regarding this.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

I think you guys are doing great with it all! Just do as much as you can, and do worry about what you cant. Seriously, One person can't save the planet alone, and you already do way more than the average family. As for yogurt lunchbox messes.... leave those for joe. or on the weekends still pack Ryan's lunch and then try showing him how to throw stuff away and what to keep in there. :]

Megan said...

You are doing great and we love the hand me downs :)