A friend had done this and it was a good idea to journal all the details of "one" day, and would be fun to look back on. It is VERY long, but it's for history sake.
Today was a good day, the kids let me sleep til 7:45! Ryan woke up and goes out and turns on his Lego Star Wars without disturbing me, and the girls either slept in or just played nicely. Then I got the kids breakfast ready, went and got the girls up and found them both with their pants off and Kaylee had taken her diaper off too! So it was a real quick diaper change...literally!
8:00 Then off to get them all in their seats at the breakfast table, serve breakfast.....whole wheat Eggo waffles, milk for the girls and OJ for Ryan. Then quickly make Ryan's lunch while they eat. Then get my cereal and join the gang at the table....only to have to scarf my cereal real quick because when they decide they are all done, they want out now! And Ryan can be excused and wash his hands by himself, but not when there is syrup involved! It's a pet peeve of mine to have remnants of syrup that you can feel or smell later!
8:20 Wash up all 3, then start to get the girls dressed and tell Ryan to get dressed. I had set out clothes for him and when he looked at them he said....."OH not those ones!!!" So I responded with..."Then go choose something else" Which he did.......and it was picture worthy......
Bright blue light up Mickey mouse shirt, bright orange shorts, spider man sandals, and a dog hat to complete the ensemble!! This is what he looked like!
8:30 then I get the girls dressed, go do their hair (which isn't a quick or easy task!), shoes on,
8:45 gather up my purse, Ryan's back pack, his lunch, a snack and milk for the girls, have family prayer then load all the kids in the car and head to Preschool.
When ever I show up to preschool, Miss Amy and I usually have a good laugh at what Ryan has chosen today! Her son did the same thing so it's a great feeling to laugh with someone about it!
9:10 Then off to the library for story time for the girls. It's nice to do something just for them, since all along, either it's been everyone or just Ryan. The girls have been a bit neglected when it comes to doing things! They have a great time and the lady doing the story time does more than just read stories, she sings and dances and does a craft! My girls have never seen glue and glitter before...could you imagine! I'm not that brave to do that kind of stuff with them at home! :) So it's really nice for them. Here are some pictures of them at story time....

Then after story time the girls play a bit with the puzzles and puppet theatre and the computers, while i quickly pick out books for Ryan. Then it's time to buckle them back into the stroller because they are going in 2 different directions and head over to pick a few movies...which the girls requested Baby signing time and were soo excited they had it! So off to the check out and out to the car. Saw a few people from church there, said hi and chatted a minute while walking to the parking lot. The girls climbed all over the car while I"m chatting and putting away the stroller!
Then it's usually a struggle these days to get the girls in their seats, it's a wrestling match now. So I've started keeping the DVD player in the car and turning it on for them which usually can help, but not always! But since we checked out their favorite movie the went in like a charm! Handed them a snack and their milk and they were 2 happy little clams! Not a peep from them on the way home! :)
11:00 When I got home I parked in the driveway because I wanted to try to clean up the garage so it would give me more room. I left the car and movie running and ran my purse and the library books inside and came back to get the girls, but they didn't even notice I was gone! SO My brain thought, well let me just pick up these few things before I get them out....they still didn't notice....so let me put the maternity clothes away that my sister in law borrowed....still happy as can be buckled in their seats watching their movie! So I got most of everything I felt up to doing in the garage done, moved the car back in, and then got them out and we all went inside. It was a great trick to get a project done that is impossible to do when they are awake, and I don't have the energy to do it after they go to bed! So I was happy about getting something accomplished today!
11:30 Then the girls and I played on the floor for a bit and had fun tickling them and making them laugh. I borrowed my brother David's bean bag chair to use as a gaming chair for Joe, but also doubles as a fun toy for the kids. SO the girls jumped off the couch onto the bean bag several times having a total blast!
11:55 Then time to make lunch, so I left them to play while I fixed lunch, then put them in their seats ate lunch, made Kaylee pick up her food that she threw on the floor, cleaned them off sent them outside to play while I finished cleaning up the kitchen. (I swear it takes longer to clean up than it does to feed them!)
12:50 Then back in the car to go get Ryan from school. Get Ryan and 2 friends to come home to play....(Yes my car is a bus, loaded up with 5 carseats!) Come home, get everyone unloaded and in the house. Change the girls, get their milk, while all they kids play cars in Ryan's room, clean up the girls room, find all their pacifiers that they have thrown over board and put them into their crib, find the girls, give them their milk, sit down to have story time, read to them while they drink their milk, then put them to bed.
1:30 Aww, now only 3 kids to deal with ..... they are still playing good so I try to check email real quick, get interrupted because they want a snack, get chips and water for the boys, turn on "Little Bear" for them, start folding the 3 loads of laundry that my wonderful husband had done and was still waiting for me to fold. Get more chips for the boys, then finish folding the laundry. Put away my laundry, Ryan's and the kitchen towels and leave the girls in a basket to put away when they wake up.
2:30 Make a few phone calls, get a call from work saying they are DESPERATE and need help, make a few more phone calls to see if it's possible, call back saying I can only work 7-11pm because I have to babysit tomorrow for my friend that we are trading day care with. They accept my offer and want me to come in. Great....now I try to close my eyes a minute while the boys are playing and within 5 minutes they wake me up because they need help putting on Spiderman and buzz lightyear costumes. Help them get dressed up as superheros, then sit there for a minute just resting and catching my breath. Thinking....I'm so tired why did I say I would go into work....but we need the money so suck it up! I never really ever go in extra, because with Joe's school schedule and the kids it's too hard to find any EXTRA time.
3:45-4:00 Ginger and Amy stop by and pick up their boys. And the girls wake up. So it's an even trade, 2 for 2. I know I'm going to need to change them because I can smell poop as I'm walking down the hall way....not a good sign! Get the girls up and change them. Play with them for a bit, give them some milk.
4:45 start heating up left overs for dinner, since I'm in a hurry to get ready for work.
5:00 Serve dinner, round up the kids, tell Ryan to come to the table and get the girls buckled in their booster seats. Ask Ryan if he wants to say the blessing on the food...he says yes.
"dear heavenly father, thank you for this day, you do it mom....... thank you for our food, please bless it, help us grow big and strong, in the name of Jesus Christ Amen"
5:15 Finish eating dinner, get the kids cleaned up and send them outside to play while I clean up the table and sweep up the floor. Get my water bottle and work bag ready.
5:30 Go outside and play with the kids for a few minutes and enjoy the fresh air. Push the girls on some bikes, sit on the lounge chair and watch the kids play.
5:50 head inside to put the kids in the bath. Start the bath, get Kaylee and Renee undressed, tell Ryan to put his clothes in the laundry basket before he jumps in. He does it in a hurry because he likes to be 1st in the tub. let the kids play while I do my make up and hair for work.
6:15 Wash the kids, Joe comes home and everyone yells "DADDY!!" He gives everyone a kiss. We chat quickly about our day.
6:20 I ask him to get the kids PJ's while I start getting them out to dry. Get the kids in pj's, kiss everyone goodbye, say a prayer together.
6:30 Grab my keys, water bottle, diet coke and my work bag and take off for work.
Get stopped by Ryan holding his hands straight out saying" Mom don't go!"
Mom: "I Know Ry, I wish I could stay too, I'll be back by morning"
Ryan: "well, wait" and he runs off to get me something...
Ryan: "here, you take Lightening McQueen so you can play with it"
Mom "thanks Ryan, I love you"
Ryan: "I love you too mom"
Get to work and get my assignment which consists of taking care of 2 moms who we are trying to keep pregnant and one mom who just lost her baby. Ugh, such heartache. It's the hardest part of my job and it's always sad to hear when any one losses their baby, but it is especially hard to hear when the baby was full term. This mom had gone in to the doctor for her 37 wk appt to find that there was no longer a heartbeat! She was then schedule for a C-section 2 days later. So I took over her care the night of her delivery. She was in fairly good spirits when I first met her and was able to talk with me and share her story with me. She was alone at the time and her family which included her 10 yr old autistic son came in. The son was here for the first time. He was the cutest thing ever! he came over to his mom right away excited to see her. He obviously wasn't completely understanding of the situation, because he asked...
Son: "Mom, where is the baby?"
Mom: "He's in heaven sweetheart."
Son: (with a sweet stutter) "he, he, he, he is with God?"
Mom :"Yes honey, he is with God."
Son :"Is he happy now"
Mom: "Yes sweet heart"
And then she showed him a picture that she had of him, and he said how cute he was and then asked. "will you have another baby?" (which made everyone chuckle a little)
Mom:"well maybe in a few years, but we'll see"
I had to step out after letting a few tears out and compose myself! Ok... a lot of tears. That sweet boy really tugged at my heart!
My shift went really quick since I was only working til 11pm. But the nurse relieving me showed up late and then had to tell all of us her story about her son's girlfriend who just delivered a baby yesterday. Then after her long story I finally get to give her report so I can get out of there. So instead of leaving shortly after 11pm I leave at 11:30 and don't get home til 12am. Joe is still up so we talk for bit, but he tells me he is falling asleep and needs to go to bed. I follow suit and head for bed myself knowing that I have kids coming early in the morning. I'm out by the time my head hits the pillow!
12:30Good night!
4 comments:
I'm tired just reading about your day. On days like this remember....There are some days that you think will never end, but the years fly by.
I loved hearing about the details of your day. I'd love to hear about one of Joe's days too.
Love,
Jane
My goodness. I run a daycare, but I don't think I am ever THAT busy! I am impressed! Sounds like you and Joe are doing everything right and good for my grandbabies. If you ever need any pointers just call me. I never mind giving out free advice! :)
Love you all-
Grandma S.
that is one very full day!! i can't believe everything you do! you are supermom!!
Makes me tired just reading it. You are amazing Karen. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment