Sunday, May 11, 2008

Desert Landscape

Spring in Arizona sure is different than California! I didn't realize that cactus did more than just grow sharp spiky things! Our yard has just bloomed and everything has blossomed some sort of flower. I have to say that at first glance cactus look ugly but really are kind of pretty.





This is our "Beanstalk." It literally grew in a few weeks, growing about 6 inches everyday it seemed!



I used this cactus as analogy in church a couple of Sundays ago while teaching a lesson. **Warning! Science Content** Cactus's have adapted to the desert environment by having needles instead of leaves. By having needles, it decreases the amount of surface area available to the air, so they don't lose the little water they get in the desert. So the fact that a cactus blooms a flower at all, is risking its life increasing its surface area and losing water. To me, that shows such amazing "faith" that it will get the nutrients it needs while faced with such great challenges. What great example of faith that God has put right under our nose. I know that sometimes the fear of challenges and struggles keep me from getting the "nutrients" I need. Hopefully, I can be as brave as a cactus some day.



1 comment:

Nic said...

they all look beautiful! and i love your little cactus lesson! it was great. i never knew all that.