Sunday, October 10, 2010

weekend

This weekend really started on Thursday afternoon, once I picked up the kids from school and the teacher tells me "to have a nice 4 day weekend!" I said excuse me, what? Apparently it was a teacher work day on Friday and Monday is Columbus day so we are starting a 4 day weekend with no previous notice. Nice. Fortunately a friend decided to have a pumpkin cookie day and invited us to join her, so that was a fun thing to look forward to on Friday. We walked and Ryan Rode his bike and we did have a good time.


Then on Saturday we had more visitors. This time Joe's dad and step mom and also great aunt and uncle stopped by too. It was a nice visit, the kids always love seeing their grandparents. And it's a motivating factor to make me cook and clean! :-) hahaha

I really am loving living here. We were able to sit outside and watch the kids play in the yard, ride bikes in the drive and street and even go over to the neighbors with very little stress or effort. The weather has remained beautiful which I am truly grateful, since I'm very nervous about winter coming!! The leaves are changing and there is a slight briskness in the air that is all new to me. I love it. I really do. Our backyard just has such a peaceful feeling to it.

(Notice the girls in the background....they are playing in the "Forest")

We enjoyed our visit, having lunch and dinner and enjoying the goodies they they brought along with them as well. And after our guests left we had just enough sunlight to go on a family bike ride and truly enjoy the beauty we are surrounded by. Ryan is doing better and better on his own bike and has learned to conquer his fear of downhills by learning how to coast and ride his breaks to slow down. Instead of having the kids look for cactus and "sharps" we now look for orange leaves and tractors! it's great.

On Sunday I received my first calling in this ward. I have been called to teach the Beehives which are the 12-14yr old girls. I'm really excited, for one thing, to have something different than primary and to not be the twins teacher is a thrill and relief, and for another I've never served in Young Women's before so I'm looking forward to the new experiences I'll have by teaching these sweet girls. I hope and pray for the strength and guidance of the spirit that I'll need in order to teach them well. I'm excited but also nervous about it. But ready or not here I go. At least I have 2 weeks to prepare, Stake conference is next week :-)
Oh we did end up having the stomach bug go around the house this weekend which wasn't fun, but so far it was just Ryan and Renee. I'm sure Kaylee will be next but hopefully the rest of us will luck out by avoiding it!! Especially me, I've had enough nausea and sickness to deal with!!
Hopefully we will all wake up well tomorrow so we can play with friends or go do something fun.
Anyways, that was our weekend. Hope everyone had a nice weekend too. xoxo

4 comments:

Angie said...

Loved this post Karen! I love fall in the midwest, it's one of my favorite times! I will not say a thing about winter... :)
And how neat you will work with teenage girls! I think you will do great! Love you all :)

Sunni said...

So Kira was asking me about the twins and said "are they twins because they have the same hair?" It looks like you are enjoying beautiful weather. It is always such a plus to make it to Halloween without any snow! Good luck with the Young Women. You will be great!

Kendra said...

Oh how fun! I am so glad that you have so many people close to you to visit. Hope we can come sometime. YW is sooo AWESOME you are gonna love it!

Megan said...

Sounds like a nice weekend. You will do great in Young Womens! Glad you can enjoy time with Joe's family too.