Saturday, September 03, 2011

Two Excited!!!!

I have Two excited little girls, ready for school tomorrow. Their clothes are set out, their back packs by the door and lunches in the fridge. We are ready, they are ready to learn and grow, and I am excited to watch that happen (and have a several hours break from them!) haha But seriously teachers can do such a better job at teaching them than i can, having so many distractions at home with the baby, household chores etc. I appreciate teachers who will dedicate their time to my children. Nothing against homeschooling, I may do it in the future, just right now, the best option is sending my kids to their great school here in town.
Anyways, Kaylee was too excited to go to bed, kept calling out for me. I was on the phone with David, my brother who had Jaw surgery so I haven't spoken to him because of that on the phone an heard his voice in several months. So instead of hanging up on him I just took the phone in with me to put Kaylee back to bed, and she wanted to show me something. Well she was throwing something up into the air and catching it and proud of herself. Well the next throw, she decides to try to catch it in her mouth. Well she is lying down and so the object that she caught in her mouth went straight down her throat. She immediately sat straight up and put her hands around her neck and began to choke. OH MY GOODNESS, did you just swallow that Kaylee? Are you choking?!?!?! Cough, cough, she shakes her head, gags and swallows the object down the rest of the way. I thought it was a toy ring and was really worried what that would do to her insides, and ran out with her in my arms, calling out for Joe, screaming she just swallowed a ring, help! and also hanging up on my brother. Joe came up and we sat her down and she was breathing fine, a bit shooken up, but was able to tell us that it was a penny. Just to be sure, Joe went and found a penny, nickel, dime, and quarter and had her point to which one she had. She pointed to the penny.
So we get online and research what to expect and find out what we should do now. Many kids swallow coins, and are OK. I know I did as a kid, but my dad held me upside down and waked me on the back and it came out. I think we were past the point of trying that right now. Joe read online that the zinc present in the pennies can be very corrosive to the esophagus and needs immediate medical attention to make sure it isn't stuck. So unfortunately it was a penny she swallowed and NOT a nickel or dime. we would of worried less! haha So Joe calls the hospital and asks the ER Dr's advice and they agreed that she needed an X-Ray within the next few hrs to make sure she was OK. So Joe left at 10 something at night to take her to the ER. The other kids were scared and worried about her asking if she was going to die? After reassuring them, they were still scared and wouldn't go to bed til she came home, well being that tomorrow was the first day of school that was not a very good option. So they piled into my bed with me and we tried to sleep. I was able to sleep once I got the text from Joe that the penny was in her stomach and they were on their way home. It was less than an hour later. Maybe it was slow, and maybe Joe's VIP card helped speed up the ER process.

So she is OK, tired the next day, but the all day preschool program she attends has a 90 min nap period in the afternoon. The discharge instructions made me laugh out loud.

"DO NOT EAT ANYTHING BUT FOOD!" LOL good advice for anyone! ;-)

No comments: