Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Quilt Show

The long awaited Quilt show has finally arrived. My Grandma is an amazing quilter and belongs to a quilters club in her town. Every 2 years they put on a Quilt show, and display all their creations they have dedicated their time and talent too. Hundreds of quilts hung up making aisle after aisle of amazing art work. My grandma is very proud of her creations as each truly is a one of a kind masterpiece. She has talked about this show since April I think, handed us flyer's each visit we had with her since then :) The day had finally come and I loaded up the kids and drove up to Cottonwood to see and support my Grandma.


We were greeted at the door by 2 sweet ladies, saying "Oh you must be Maureen's grandchildren, we were told to look out for twins!" After checking in and obtaining our voters ballot we walked through and almost immediately ran into Grandma and Grandpa Ray. She asked me if I had seen her quilt yet, to which I replied not yet and she took me by the hand and said "this way!" :)

And this is where she took me.......

Isn't it AMAZING!!! I oooo'd and awwww'd for quite some time, and she was surprised by that and asked me "haven't you seen it before?" I said " Not the finished product, only the bites and pieces you had been working on, this is amazing!" It really was breath taking, I can't imagine how much time and talent went into making something like that and then I read this....


This made me laugh out loud and also get a lump in my throat and tear in my eye.
Then another laugh followed when I was instructed to put down her number on my voting ballot :) But I of course was going to vote for it any ways. And she did end up winning a Blue Ribbon for this one. She had many more quilts, a jacket and a handmade doll entered as well. WOW!


Then Grandpa offered to watch the kids outside since they found a fun little sidewalk to run up and down so i could go through and look at the rest of the quilts and continue voting.


Then to be treated to dinner at Sizzler after a quick stop at the house to say hi to all the puppies. It's a unwritten rule by Grandma and Grandpa, "If we make the trip up and spend the gas coming, they will treat us to a meal at sizzler" :)


And when we get inside, Grandma always says to the cashier, The man at the back will be paying. with of course a big chuckle along with it.


We've only been there a few times but Renee ran right to the exact same table we sat at last time pulled out her chair and said "this one" We all enjoyed a great meal, but for me it really felt like a dash and dine. I literally ran and got the kids food, ran and got my food, got them something else, and they were ready for dessert before I had even finished my salad. So to keep them from starting a food fight or getting down from the table we were on to dessert. 3 helpings of dinner and 3 helpings of dessert, got to keep it even! haha Thanks for dinner Grandpa!!

It was a fun trip, I love my Grandma! Great job, I'm so proud of you!!

6 comments:

Angie said...

That is so beautiful! You have one talented grandma :) I think that is a craft that is going away. Not as many people quilt as in years ago. Hopefully you have some of her quilts to keep for yourself!

sarah said...

Angie- I quilt daily. But not as good as Karen's grandma!

Okay, so I don't really quilt at all.

goofy feet said...

that is so great. i hope i have such a sweet granddaughter when i'm that age!
makes me want to stop by my own grandparents' house.

Sally said...

What a quilt! It definitely deserved a Blue Ribbon!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! How great for your grandma that you and the kids went to share the day with her. That was probably treasured more than the blue ribbon.

Jane

Sunni said...

what a fun event...I have just started to try and quilt and it is a major thing. What a masterpiece! Also I Love the Super Hero Ry Guy (I am sure he has a better super hero name than the one I just made up...I am constantly told by my children how not creative/cool my names are.)By the way, Hyrum taught Mage how to play dutch blitz.