Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Reflections

As I sit back and think about what happened one year ago today, I am overcome with a wealth of feelings and emotions. I still remember eating Christmas dinner at Karen's mom's house and Karen leaned over to me while filling her plate with creamed corn and said "Eat FAST!." I remember thinking...."I'm not ready!", but luckily the medication that Karen was taking to prevent early labor kept us at home throughout the night. Then, morning came and we went into the hospital as planned and we had our two beautiful daughters, even though I still wasn't "ready". Renee had been flipping around inside for the last month from head down to feet down off and on, that we feared the possibility of a last minute C-section. This made Karen and myself very nervous of what was to come, but we were excited to find out that this particular morning she flipped to head down and was ready for a normal delivery....until her final flip just before going into labor. Thankfully, we had such a gifted doctor who was able to deliver Renee safe and sound despite her acrobatic tricks. Yes, those were days mixed with happiness, fear, and anticipation.

I remember with Ryan, I couldn't wait to get home. The hospital chair was uncomfortable, I had to drive home to shower, and the food wasn't much to talk about. With the girls, it was different. Since I had no idea how we were going to take care TWO babies at once, I didn't mind staying in the hospital as long as possible. Karen on the other hand was peaceful and calm. She was ready to get home and tackle this blessing from the beginning. Not to say she didn't mind those last few nights of peace and quiet, but she was ready to go home.

Those next few months are kind of a blur. I have to give Karen and her mom all the credit for those first few months because they did so much. Since Karen was breastfeeding both girls, it was kind of pointless for me to get up in the wee hours of the night, except to change diapers, so most of those sleepless nights fell on Karen's shoulders. Thankfully, her mom was there to help me in the mornings, so Karen could sleep in until she felt rested.

Through the gastric reflux, the numerous diapers, and 20 minute naps, we sometimes felt like we were going to go insane. I really believe if we didn't have each other, we just may have. When Ryan was born, I just couldn't understand how I could love anyone else as much I love him. I now know that it is possible. Everyday I'm at school, I can't wait to get home and see all three of those kids running for the door to greet me. They have consumed me and taken over my heart. This past year has been such a great blessing to Karen and I that I can't wait for the coming years. I can't wait to see what they will learn next. I can't wait to teach them how to ride a bike. I can't wait to go to the daddy/daughter dance and be so proud that I have two dates, while the other dads have one. I can't wait until they bring home a young boy who is scared to death to meet their girlfriend's dad.......ok, I CAN wait for that. Guess I will have to be cleaning TWO shotguns when that happens....oh wait, I just realized I'm going to have to pay for TWO weddings...this is all happening too fast...I'm getting dizzy.

Anyway, one year ago today, two angels were brought into my life and my life has never, and will never be the same. I'm sure more angels will come some day and I'll make more room in my heart, but for now it is full and I couldn't be happier. What a great year 2007 was for us, and I hope that 2008 brings you the same joy. Happy Birthday Renee and Kaylee!

Below are some pictures of the girls opening just a few of the many, many....many presents. We are going to "officially" celebrate with some cake this weekend and we will post some pictures after that happens. Thanks to all of you who have watched the girls grow up through this blog over the past year. You are the reason we continue to do this and we love hearing your feedback. We have some Christmas pictures and videos we want to post and will let everyone know when we do. Enjoy!





Renee: "Don't even think about returning this one!"


The girls loved ripping the paper off their presents!


Kaylee: "Come on Renee! It goes Rum-pum-pum-pum"


So many to choose....but where to start?


"Team tackling" is ALWAYS a good strategy to getting the presents open fast.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who got them the drum set? Man, I should of thought of that. Let me know if they need it hooked up to an amplifier, so as to maximize the annoyance factor!

Sunni said...

Merry Christmas! We were just stating last night how much we miss the Bluiners. Maybe one of these days we will live close enough so that the kids can play together. I could just see Mason and Ryan leading the pack, telling stories of frogs to the girls and singing "If I could turn back time"

Anonymous said...

they are so absolutely cute! I miss you and hope you have a very happy new year. Love, Erin

Anonymous said...

What a difference a year can make! They are lucky little girls to have you as parents and to have Ryan as a big brother. Enjoy this time as you have because it slips by quickly and then you're on to another stage to enjoy. Lots of love, Jane

The Johnsons said...

Hey! Erin left you a comment! What'd ya do, threaten her if she didnt? :)


Seriously...I am so proud to be the aunt of those beautiful little girls, and of course their adorable big brother, as well! I love you all so much!


Happy birthday Kaylee and Renee! Aunt Bethi loves you!

Matthew Baker said...

You made me cry! What a beautiful reflection. Aren't we all so blessed? Wow. Happy Birthday girls and hugs and love to our favorite Arizona family.